A new (nearly finished) logout dialog

Manu Cornet Manu.Cornet at GMail.com
Mon Dec 5 01:00:51 GMT 2005

Hi !

This is my first post on the list. I have previously been involved with
development in Ubuntu by redesigning (with Sébastien Bacher and also
Vincent Untz) the "Add applet to panel" dialog. I am now on to the "Log
out" dialog :)

My work is not finished, but the design is (at least for this
preliminary version). Since I don't know how to do a screenshot while
this dialog is active (if you know, tell me ! ^^), I can only provide a
unfinished patch for you guys to try. Here it is :

	http://www.manucornet.net/GNOME/code/logout_dialog/

Clicking on the buttons won't do anything yet (just press Cancel). A few
things :

* This is in the gnome-session package.

* Since the patch only concerns one file (gnome-session/logout.c) and a
big part of the file needs to be rewritten, I have also put the whole
file itself in the above link.

* To test this, you'll need to place the five *.png files inside the
gnome-session subdirectory. Then compile, and just run
gnome-session/logout-test without needing to install anything.

* I thought a long time about what icons to use for Hibernate and
Suspend. Then I talked a little with the Tango guys, and we agreed that
the best way actually was to use the main "Shut Down" icon, and use
three different colors (red for real shutdown, blue for hibernate,
orange for suspend). Here let me quote what Jon Wood said : "I think the
problem here is conveying the different types of shutting down to
non-technical users, since in a lot of cases the result seen is the same
for all of them - the screen turning off, and possibly the fans
stopping." (see the tooltip suggestion below).

* If you can't or don't have the time to try this patch, you can still
have a look at the icons :

	http://www.manucornet.net/GNOME/session_icons/

Now what still needs to be done :

* Obviously, make the buttons active.

* Place the icons in a proper place, although I'll probably leave that
to Sébastien, since I'm not sure where this is and how to make it
happen.

* I would like to add a tooltip for each button, describing what each
action will do. For instance, the difference between Shut
Down/Hibernate/Suspend will probably not be clear at first.

So, what do you think about this preliminary work ?

Cheers,
Manu