[ubuntu-art] Making our list of tools awesome!

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Fri Jun 25 13:09:09 BST 2010

Hi!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFreeCultureShowcase had a growing list of
recommended tools. Since we already had one elsewhere, I replaced it
with a link to:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/Software

Now this page could benefit from your love :)

= Recommendable or simply without alternative =

This shall be a list of free-software/open-source tools that are quite
simply good or that at least fill a niche with no better free/open
alternatives.

= Point of entry =

This shall be suitable as a point of entry for a newcomer that might not
know about raster vs vector images or what non-destructive editing
means.

= Comparisons =

There shall be comparisons to well known proprietary applications in the
sense of conceptual similarities (don't imply feature-parity where it
doesn't exist).

= Outstanding Samples =

Ideally there would be pointers to the very best examples of work
produced with each application. Stuff that really makes you want to pick
it up and learn how to use it.

= Sub-Pages =

To keep the entries short, sub-pages can be added in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Software/
just like
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/Software#MuseScore
points to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Software/MuseScore

Tip: You can avoid term in CamelCase turning into links by putting a !
in front. For example "!LilyPond".

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: