[ubuntu-art] Kyūdō (was Re: Jaunty Wallpaper (Kenneth Wimer))

Saleel svelanka at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 13:23:52 GMT 2009

Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> I observed that discussions on artwork here on this list happened on a
> level of "more orange" or "not enough brown". Many opinions, but hardly
> ever any exploration of the reasons behind any decision.
>
> A few of us thought that the solution should be a well documented and
> discussed set of goals. That is the root of Kyūdō. Know what you are
> trying to achieve, so people can pull into one direction.

This rings true with me, any feedback/suggestions that I get without a
reason, I mentally place under "stuff I should try if I get the chance
or when I am having insomnia at 3:30 am". It doesnt always result in my
best attempt and therefore rarely does either my art or the suggestion
any justice.

Feedback with reasons gets placed under "stuff to try when I reopen the
file, since people much more experienced than me have some solid reasons
for these suggestion."  It always merits my best effort even if the
final result is not always complementary to my vision for the piece.

Errors/glitches get filed under "uhoh fix it right now you blubbering fool"

I admit I have not read all of the Kyūdō pages, but this rings so true...

-- Saleel