[ubuntu-art] creamlooks-gtk

Sumit Agarwal sumit.chandra.agarwal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 20:50:57 GMT 2008

I think that John Hicks' design is a perfect target goal for Ubuntu
art. One of the strongest strengths of his design is that it does not
attempt to be 'Windowsish', 'Macish', or 'Vistaish'. Its an
independent highly-effective attractive and usable style.

One of the main goals in Firefox 3 is to better visually integrate the
application into its host OS's. Some have complained that this is
resulting in a dilution in the Mozilla 'brand'. Overall I agree with
this goal because most users spend the majority of their day inside
their web browser. However, it poses a specific problem with the Linux
version because, obviously, there is no standard Linux look. So the
Firefox team seems to have settled on a Tango/GTK look. I think this
is a huge mistake. Firstly, it ignores KDE users (who should switch
from Konqueror to Firefox!) and anyone with even a vague sense of
style who is likely to have already changed from the default GTK theme.

So, I really think the Firefox team should take advantage of Firefox 3
on Linux as an opportunity to 'define the Firefox brand'. Away from
the preset styles of Windows and Mac, Linux is a chance to build a
whole identity for Mozilla around the base concepts introduced by John
Hicks' work. And being that even within Linux most users spend so much
of their time within Firefox and Thunderbird, maybe we could have a
faint glimmer of hope that stylistic changes in Firefox/Thunderbird
will cascade through the rest of the open-source community.

It seems to me that the GNOME/GTK attitude to updating the visual
style really comes down to 1) it works 2) the million+ of us can't
agree on a new look and 3) who are YOU to decide what MY desktop looks
like?!

This is stupid. As it stands, despite the 'open' nature of GNOME/GTK,
the power to decide what it looks like is in the hands of a few
people. The people who created the original style a decade ago. These
same people in all likelihood have moved on to favoring more modern
looks, but even they can't decide what mine and your desktops look
like, although they did exactly that at one point.

Maybe GNOME/GTK needs a Linus Torvalds or Steve Jobs? Somebody who
ultimately approves what gets added and what gets changed, and, more
importantly, sets the vision for the future? The problem with this
idea of course is 1) who picks this person? 2) HOW do those people
pick this person and 3) even if we had a leader like that, there are
few leaders in the world with the skills and intuition of Linus
Torvalds or Steve Jobs.

I'm not sure what your point is about Western art  ;)  afterall, Asian
sumi-e painting is particularly effective at using rich textures
without gaudy colors or unnecessary outlines.

-Sumit