[ubuntu-art] Hacking / Kludging - WAS Re: gtk theme

xl cheese xl_cheese at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 6 16:01:51 GMT 2008

All of your are correct!

1.  It's good to have stable software for end users.  Most people don't like things to crash or spending time debugging problems.  We need this school of thought for official released code. BUT-

2.  It's also good to have people 'Kludging' up progressive new ideas.  Whether or not their code is great or not they are bringing new things to the table which can eventually be polished off and absorbed by the mainstream releases.

We need both conservative AND forward thinkers.  A good example has already been presented.  The Nodoka style is now part of the murrine engine.  Without someone 'hacking' away with Nodoka we would not have that option now in a stable form.  So instead of _laughing_ at them and singing this to yourself in the shower,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSdjOEf1W4Y , you should send 'em some brownies and a thank you card for their innovative ideas.

This is open source code not microsoft.  If someone wants to make a copy, rename it and change it up they should be encouraged to do so and perhaps given a little guidance...  No one's hand is being held to the fire to install them.

-wes