[ubuntu-art] gtk theme

Kenneth Wimer kwwii at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 3 11:29:30 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I guess that everyone noticed the change in gtk theme (we are using murrine at
the moment). I also included a clearlooks theme as well and we'll test that
in a couple of days). Both themes definitely need improvement if they are
going to replace Ubuntu Looks which, although it does have minor bugs, has a
definte look and is quite well polished. With an eye to the future, here is a
list of +'s and -'s for each theme. In many cases the -'s can be easily
solved ...feel free to help :-)

  Human Ubuntu Looks (#1):
   - lines between menu bar, toolbars and windows are bad; but we don't
     have to get rid of them just yet
   + we like the obviously ticked checkboxes and radio buttons
   + and that the tick from the checkbox is larger than the box
   - toggle button doesn't share the obviousness
   + liked the markers in the progress bars
   + liked the inset tray look of sliders
   + liked the filled insides of sliders
   + liked the prelight colour of scrollbars
   + liked tab colours and no gradient
   + selected/active light orange bg (menu's, etc) color is perfect

   Human Clearlooks (#2):
   - menubar different colour to everything else
   - gradient buttons instead of glossy
   - no prelight of scrollbars
   - no colour inside sliders
   - checkboxes not obviously checked
   + but toggle buttons are much more obvious
   - don't like tab gradients
   + but colour is ok
   - progress bars look like tanks, no markers

   Human Murrine (#3):
   - lines between menu bar and toolbars, and toolbars and rest of
     window; not urgent to remove
   ? menu bar is very strange
   + but the menus themselves look great with the gutter
   - quite square in shape, rounded is more pleasing to the eye
   - progress bars are tanks, no markers, and not inset
   - sliders also not inset
   + but filled
   + obviously checked
   - but white
   - toggle button isn't obvious at all, quite nasty in fact
   + tabs have no gradient and gutter colours
   - no scrollbar prelight
   - entire scrollbar coloured