[ubuntu-art] panel icons

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 20:09:52 GMT 2008

One quick concern from me: I see that the Update icon in this is going back
to the jagged orange splotch. I have yet to see how this represents updating
in any way, as it looks more like a bug report. The icon that is currently
in the Hardy alphas (with the downward-pointing arrow) is quite a bit more
informative.

As for which one I like, I prefer the not etched, simple 2d look. One reason
is just personal taste, the other reason is because panel icons are usually
like that. For example, if I go and download the latest Pidgin that is built
without Ubuntu in mind, I'll have the standard colourful Pidgin icon.
Alongside the etched icons it looks really weird. With the flat 2d icons, it
blends reasonably well. (Still not perfectly, but better). I like that you
use less colour for icons that do not need urgent attention (that should
"just work") like the volume control and network info. That way, colour can
be used for things to stand out, and the colourful icons that other apps
bring with them will be less of a concern since they still fit fairly
naturally with the "official" design.
Ideally we shouldn't have to worry about this since applications like Pidgin
and Liferea should really not be putting themselves in the notification area
all the time, but it doesn't look like that will be fixed very quickly.

Bye,
-Dylan McCall