[ubuntu-art] New titlebar (Metacity theme) for Hardy

Nick Bauermeister Forlong at gmx.de
Sat Jan 12 17:04:48 GMT 2008

Now that it's certain we will continue to have the Human GTK theme in
Hardy (which I think is a good idea, I still like - and use - it anyway)
we should talk about changing the Metacity theme.
To be honest, it's the only thing I don't like about Ubuntu's look and I
know others feel the same, because the most talked about issue with
Ubtunu's artwork is "the brown".
But if you look at it, the only brown thing about Human is the window's
titlebars (and the wallpaper but that's the easiest part to change).

I think a titlebar change would make a whole different (better)
impression of the Human theme.

In general, Hardy should aim for a brighter, orange look and ditch the
brown completely.

Here's a screenshot of my current setup:
http://blogage.de/files/1440/image?screen1.png
Note that it's almost "standard Ubuntu".

And with a look at the wallpaper
http://blogage.de/files/1441/image?screen2.png
It's (a patched version of one) from the "Orange pack" taken from
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Gutsy

The titlebar is designed by myself using Emerald Theme manager but I
think it would be easy creating something similar for Metacity:
http://blogage.de/files/1442/image?ubuntuclean.png
(the widgets on inactive windows get visible when hovering the mouse
pointer over them)

I don't propose that it has to be that particular theme but something
along this way would be a nice visible change as well as easy to
implement.