[ubuntu-art] Union mock-up updates ending.

julian julian at selectparks.net
Sun Jan 6 18:25:31 GMT 2008

here are a few comments about the latest iteration of Ken's Union theme:

    http://raraken.deviantart.com/art/Ubuntu-Theme-Concept-v0-3-73791834

    the close button is disproportionately wide compared to both minimum
    and maximum buttons. while it might be functionally smart, it looks
    stretched and thus inconsistent.

    the search, wireless and battery applet icons at the top don't need the
    gradation. i think it is unneccessarily graphically complex and adds noise.

    the top and bottom corner-pairs of both panels are rounded, adding hard black
    to the screen area. if that little stylistic touch is deemed really necessary,
    why not make them a colour other than black (instead of alpha)?

    i'm still not convinced the window contents should have that gradation
    or transparency. is that really the idea or just a demonistration of the
    new GTK2 transparency technology?  i wouldn't want my window contents to
    be stylistically imposed upon by my desktop environment so dramatically.

    i'd like to see this with a higher overall contrast. at the moment it
    looks a little too soft and dreamy for me, a sunset for a desktop.

Ken, could you post the SVG? i'd like to have a play around. i can download the
XCF but the SVG link is broken on:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/Union

naturally i get a 403 if i attempt to:

  wget -c --secure-protocol=SSLv2 --no-check-certificate
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/Union?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Union_v0-3.svg

  it seems a certificate is mandatory.

cheers,

julian

P.S sorry to hear about your laptop. recent experience gives me empathy
here.

..on Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 01:44:02AM -0500, Ken Vermette wrote:
> Updates to the union mock ups and sources are officially ending. While
> working on the most recent update, my laptop froze completely, and now it
> appears to be completely dead. Because I'm beginning military training on
> the 13th, there's no point in fixing the 6-year old beast of a laptop.
>
> The data might be fine (I think it's the graphics card), and I'm going to
> plug my hard-drive into a desktop computer to see if I still have my work;
> depending on how this goes, I might get one more update loaded into the
> wiki, after that I'll make the most of my time with the family before I
> leave. If my data is corrupt or irretrievable, then I'll be forced to forget
> any more updates.
>
> The 0.4 update was the second last planned before calling the theme design
> "final". It unified outlines throughout the theme, added an additional
> button to the bottom of the windows, and overall had some colour balancing.
> If anyone wants to get a step closer to the planned design, follow the steps
> below:
>
>  - Brown lines throughout the chrome receive 35% opacity, including drag
> circles.
>  - Window frame button outlines receive converted tab outlines, becoming
> more square and sharp.
>  - Close button no longer fades to the right, instead going into the edge of
> the window and only fading at the top.
>
> >From here on out, I'm a useless bag of opinions until I leave (sucks to be
> this mailing list now, eh?). I'll try to keep up, and my email will always
> be open. If I do manage the update, a tar.gz will be available with all of
> my materials, including wallpapers, all versions of the theme, experiments,
> notes, personal instructions and my Formulae Tru design shown in my
> deviantart account, below.
>
> http://raraken.deviantart.com/
>
> Thank you, extreme apologies for any and all trouble this may cause.
> -Ken Vermette

julian oliver
http://julianoliver.com
http://selectparks.net