[ubuntu-art] Please change "Delete" icon

Nacho de los Rios nachodelosrios at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 16:19:14 BST 2006

The icon for the delete action seems to be a picture of a schredder, but

a) It is not a very good picture, with too little contrast and detail to
convey what it is, and much less what it means.

b) I'm sure that the image of a shredder is NOT AT ALL what comes to the
mind of 99.99% of the world's population when it comes to disposing of
things so

c) the purpose of the icon is totally baffling.

Maybe in the US the association seems clear, but even that I doubt. I
assure you that, in Spain, people will always wonder what that strange
icon is for. And I'm sure that for anyone that has not received an
overdose of american movies where the baddies shred the docs while the
CIA agents are in the elevator, the image will be obscure at best, even
if it were clearly drawn.

Why not a simple trashcan? Almost everybody must know how a trashcan
looks like and what is its purpose.

As for the use of the icon in Evolution, I'll post a separate mail. Here
I'll just say that the relation between shredding and crumpling a piece
of email and deleting mail or marking it as spam is far beyond tenuous.