isn't it done already?

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sat Dec 24 08:05:13 GMT 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 03:42:56PM -0700, Scott wrote:
> I envy those with good eyesight.  Mine is *at best* 20/40 in
> eye and 20/60 in the other.

*sigh*

I don't envy anyone but OTOH my eyes are specifically broken,
and a few times a year the spasm frees them for a minute or so,
until I blink.  Then everything's sharp and sunny around. :-)

It did never happen before a monitor though.

> In Windows switched to "Large Icons" and "Large Fonts" and that
> made a reasonable difference.   Linux is a whole different
> thing, especially considering I switch between KDE and GNOME a
> lot, but I generally set the DPI to 100 or 110 and that helps.

I'm short-sighted, that makes it quite OK with smaller fonts and
images (actually Japanese rice picture makers were *extremely*
short-sighted, seems like it was kind of legacy between
generations).

Though yes, giving a single Big Knob on either resolution (which
will break physical size handling -- e.g. "3mm wide line" -- but
who cares for that having bad eyes) or base font/icon size would
help; and yes, tweaking resolution is a _single_ knob for vector
objects while I know of no "zoom factor" one in X.

2 inger: maybe some day this might be an accessibility module
for Alterator...

> I've never had a problem in Windows. It pretty much knows what
> to do with my monitor.

Actually it pretends successfully. ;-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>