in the news: KDE vs Gnome

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Fri Dec 16 12:13:46 GMT 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 11:04:19PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > I don't remember, the actual quote was quite depressed but
> > along these lines.  *Seems* like the person meant "they value
> > HIG over real users" or similar.
> See, people really mess this up. The HIG is essentially a style
> guide, to help developer design consistent software for GNOME.
> It's not a religious text, nor does it inflict particular user
> experience design goals, etc. I think this is a huge
> misunderstanding we need to sort out.

I just wanted to get this back to the list -- Jeff made the right
conclusions from "user story" passed in somewhat distorted form
by me; and if he manages to write down the proper text, I'd be
willing to help with proof-reading it and asking folks who felt
offended to do so (I mean, so that reading would leave no
superfluous suspections and no more misunderstanding).

Thanks!

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>