coreboot QA with fwts

Colin Ian King colin.king at canonical.com
Wed May 16 17:27:24 UTC 2018

On 16/05/18 13:26, Marcello Sylvester Bauer wrote:
> Dear FWTS developers,
>
> We would like to add support for coreboot firmware testing into the FWTS.
> Therefore we ask you if there are any suggestions on how to integrate it
> in FWTS.

I guess it depends on what you specifically want to test.  Tests are
placed in the src directory depending on their specific class of
testing, e.g. ACPI related tests in src/acpi, dmi tests in src/dmi,
device tree in src/devicetee etc.  If some of your tests fall into these
existing classes, add them there, otherwise if they are specific only to
coreboot then we can add a new src/coreboot test directory if need be.

> Also how the FWTS development process works and if you are accepting open
> source contributions.

1. Clone from upstream git repository: git://kernel.ubuntu.com/hwe/fwts
2. Write a test. Add it as a git commit or commits(s).
3. Create an email-able patch or patches using git format-patch
4. Send the patch or patches to fwts-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
5. Patches will be manually reviewed. If they get 2 ACKs from the team
members then they get added to the git repository
6. We release every month except for April and October.

I suggest looking at existing tests first to see if there is any code
that is vaguely similar as a starting point.  Please adhere the same
coding style when possible.   Don't write a huge amount of code to start
with, start small - I prefer well defined tests rather than a big test
that does everything.  You can see that fwts has a lot of small tests
for specific cases, so try to stick to that philosophy. Have a look at
previous commits to see the kind of patches and code we prefer when new
tests are added.

We will try and provide positive feedback on reviews, it may take a few
iterations before new code is accepted.

Colin