sorry...i want to ask about kubuntu

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 08:00:31 UTC 2007

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, oedha at netscape.net wrote:

> Forgive me for asking about kubuntu........since i got problem in
> installing it so far i used edubuntu 7.04 ( i used it since 5 version )
> and have no problems.

You might get better results asking the Kubuntu community.

	http://www.kubuntu.org/support.php

> But now...when i tried to test Kubuntu 7.04. i got problem which it can't
> connect to the internet What's wrong...!! ( it also happen with
> Skole.....both of them used KDE.....GNOME is fine )

Again, with Skolelinux, you should ask the skolelinux community.

	http://skolelinux.org/en/node/4

> What i did......
> 1. manual ip setting ( 192.168.111.122, sub 255.255.255.0, gate 192.168.111.1 )
> 2. Ipsetting from ifconfig ( ifconfig eth0 192.168.111.122 )
> 3. edit the /etc/resolv.conf with nameserver ipdns1 up to ipdns3
> 4. Set the konqueror to direct connection to the internet

It's not entirely clear what you've done from this.  However, if you run
	ifconfig eth0 192.168.111.122
that will set the ip address temporarily, until reboot or something else
sets it.  If there is a dhcp client running, it will probably undo all of
this.

> course i cant surf the internet
>
> ( local fine even more than just ping )

How did you set the default gateway?  By hand you could (temporarily) use
the route command to do it, but that's not ideal.

> 1. What should i do next ? ( this case also happen when i tried Skole )

If you haven't already (it's not clear), use the proper network setting
tools that are provided.  You need to turn off DHCP and set a static ip
address with the correct gateway.

> 2. When i reboot....why the system became so slow ??

No idea.  Could possibly be related to DNS not working though.

> 3. Why the default ip ( 69.something ) still appear when i tried to ping
> my ipdns? ? i have change the ip before

Sounds like a DHCP client timing out and setting that address as a fallback
-- which is normal enough.

> 4. Where can i insert the gateway address manually ?

You can set it using the route command. You can also display it afterward:

	sudo route add default gw 192.168.111.1
	route -n

You shouldn't rely on this though as that setting will only be temporary.
There should be a network manager tool in KDE and that's what you should
use to set this stuff.  If that's failing for you, you should probably talk
to the Kubuntu guys.

Gavin