edubuntu-devel Digest, Vol 8, Issue 3

Clint Tinsley clintin at linuxmail.org
Thu Jan 5 19:58:38 UTC 2006

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:25:01AM -0700, Clint Tinsley wrote:
> > > On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 06:56:59AM -0700, Clint Tinsley wrote:
> > > The need to do this under what circumstances?  This command is already run
> > > by ltsp-build-client during the installation, and there should never be a
> > > need to run it again unless the server hostname (or possibly IP address) is
> > > changed.
> >
> > I don't know what triggers the need to do this.  This was a clean
> > install in a static enviroment, nothing was changed. One
> > possibility is that there was a problem with my second NIC for the
> > internal network and I replaced the NIC so that might have caused it.  In
> > anycase, this seems to be needed to be documented as it shouldn't hurt to
> > run it twice to fix the login ssh issues with Client logins.  At this
> > reading, it appears that there were three current install enviroments
> > where the user had to use the command to get logins working.
>
> No, that shouldn't cause any such problems.  Running it twice is pointless
> given that it would produce the same output both times.

Exactly my point but if there is a problem, for whatever reason, it would fix it.  And as such, it should not only be part of the installation notes but the upcoming cookbook.

> If there is a problem here, what we need to do to track it down is to get a
> copy of the /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts file when it isn't
> working, and another copy after you've fixed it, so that we can see what's
> going on.

> If you say this happens after a clean install for you, then it would help if
> you could do another clean install, verify the problem, and collect this
> information for us.

I'll see if I can replicate the install, including the "bad" 2nd nic as to exactly re-create the process I went through and will capture the file before running the command. It'll probably be sometime this coming weekend before I can do this.

Question, do you have an install document for doing the "moo cow" install of LTSP to Dapper?

Clint